Are you doing everything you can to keep your teeth healthy? North Vernon, IN, dentist, Dr. Scott A. Terry, discusses the importance of preventive care and shares a few tips that can help you avoid cavities.
Plan your plaque attack
You can't see the plaque, but it poses a serious danger to your teeth. The problem starts when you eat foods that contain sugar or carbohydrates that are converted into sugars. The combination of the sugars and the bacteria in plaque triggers a chemical reaction that produces acids. These acids attack your tooth enamel and cause cavities. In addition to that, the longer plaque remains on your teeth, the higher the risk that it will turn into tartar. Tartar, a very hard gray or brown deposit, can cause gum disease.
Reduce plaque build-up by following these tips:
- Brush twice daily for at least two minutes. Not sure if you're getting rid of all the plaque? Buy plaque disclosing tablets that temporarily turn missed spots bright blue or red.
- Don't forget about your tongue. If you don't brush your tongue when you brush your teeth, bacteria can be spread from your tongue to your freshly cleaned teeth.
- Brush your teeth or rinse your mouth after eating high-carbohydrate or sugary foods.
- Snack on fruits and vegetables. Carrots, celery, and apples help remove plaque from teeth naturally.
- Limit colas, lemonade, and highly acidic drinks. The acids in these beverages can damage your tooth enamel and increase your cavity risk.
- Floss once a day to remove plaque from between teeth and under the gumline.
- Use anti-bacterial mouthwash for added protection from the effects of plaque.
Twice yearly dental visits are a must, for most people, although some may require care more often.
Visiting our North Vernon office regularly is an excellent way to protect your smile. During your visit, you'll receive a complete dental examination, will undergo a dental cleaning and may have dental X-rays. After your cleaning, your smile will be free of plaque and tartar. Small areas of tooth decay never have the opportunity to do much damage when you visit every six months. Filling cavities when they're small helps keep your teeth stronger and healthier and is even less costly.
Reduce your cavity risk with good preventive care and regular dental visits. Call North Vernon, IN, dentist Dr. Scott A. Terry at (812) 346-4500 to schedule an appointment.